(photo courtesy of www.homedit.com)
“I don’t have enough space!”
The most common complaint about small kitchens is lack of counter space. This can be extremely frustrating when you’re trying to cook and don’t have the room to lay out all your tools and ingredients. Fortunately, there are a number of tricks to maximize the room in your work space:
1. Use a cake stand to hold items like soaps and sponges that are normally left out on the counter. This will still allow you to use the space underneath, and can help to keep messy items off of your work area. Plus, a decorative stand will add charm and character to the room.
2. You can use a large cutting board to cover your sink when it’s not in use. If you’re building a new kitchen or remodeling, you can have a sink cover custom made to match your counter top and add valuable space when you need it.
3. Install hooks under your cabinets to hold mugs and other items and get them off the counter. You can also use the hooks to install a fruit & veggie hammock. Bowls of fresh oranges may look great, but they eat up your counter space.
Keeping the counter clear isn’t the only challenge when it comes to working with small spaces. Try these tips to add space and increase the functionality of your other storage areas:
1. Hang a pocket organizer inside your pantry door. You can use this to store a number of ingredients and different tools. Make sure the organizer you are using has clear or mesh pockets, that way you can always see what you’re looking for.
2. Hang a pot rack chandelier over your kitchen island. Not only with this look great, it’ll free up room in your cabinets for pans and large items like stand mixers.
3. Nail an old coat rack to the end of counters to hang common items like scissors or dish rags to free space in your drawers.
This blog is a part of a 3 part series:
Do you have any other pointers for keeping a clear counter? Let us know in the comments!