September 15, 2022
How Do You Know It’s Time to Remodel Your Kitchen?
The kitchen is the one of the most important rooms in a home as it functions as a place for families and friends to gather – whether it’s to cook, eat, or just socialize. It’s usually the center of attention at any house party where it’s not unusual for the crowd to gravitate toward. A well-designed and functional kitchen can make meal time and social gatherings more enjoyable and entertaining. A modern, contemporary kitchen also increases the value of your home. An updated kitchen is more appealing to potential buyers. So, what are the signs of an outdated kitchen and how do you know when it’s time to remodel your kitchen?
It’s Time to Remodel Your Kitchen When . . .
1. Kitchen appliances are outdated or no longer working properly – If your kitchen appliances are more than 10 years old, it might be time for an update. Newer appliances are not only more energy-efficient but also have features that can make cooking and entertaining more enjoyable. For example, new smart refrigerators feature touch-screen interface, WiFi connectivity, organization drawers, automatic temperature controls, and more.
2. The layout is inefficient – An outdated kitchen layout can make it difficult to cook and entertain. A common problem is the “triangle” layout where the sink, stove, and refrigerator are all too close together. This can make it difficult to move around the kitchen and can create traffic jams when more than one person is trying to use the space.
3. The cabinets are old and/or in poor condition – Cabinets are a major focal point in the kitchen so it’s important that they are in good condition. Many contemporary kitchens are now outfitted with pull-out pantry doors, built-in utensil caddies, pull-outs for herbs, spices, and condiments, and soft closes to name a few.
4. The countertops are outdated – Countertops are another important feature in the kitchen. If your countertops are old, it can make the entire room look dated. Many homeowners today are opting for quartz or granite countertops because they are modern, durable, attractive, and easy to maintain.
5. The floors are in poor condition – Floors take a lot of abuse so it’s not surprising that they often need to be replaced. If your kitchen floors are in poor condition, it can make the room look shabby and uninviting. Some popular floor options today include white marble and black parquet tiling.
6. The color is so yesterday – Kitchen colors can date a room just as much as the appliances, cabinets, and countertops. If your kitchen is stuck in the 80s or 90s with dated colors like hunter green or mauve, it might be time for a remodel.
7. The lighting is terrible – Lighting is an important but often overlooked element of kitchen design. If your kitchen doesn’t have enough lighting, it can make the space feel dark and uninviting. There are many different types of lighting to choose from including , recessed lighting, pendant lighting, dimmers, and under-cabinet lighting.
If you’re noticing any of these signs, it might be time to remodel your kitchen. Kitchen remodels can be pricey, but they are also one of the most rewarding home improvement projects you can undertake. Not only will you enjoy your newly updated kitchen, but you’ll also see a return on your investment – typically 100% – when it’s time to sell your home.
If you are considering a kitchen remodel to update your home and increase its value, contact us today to speak with a professional.
< Back to Blog